Why Choose Manual Lymphatic Drainage?
The lymphatic system is a network of tissues and organs that help rid the body of toxins, metabolic waste, large protein molecules, bacteria and other unwanted materials. The primary function of the lymphatic system is to transport lymph, a fluid containing infection-fighting white blood cells, throughout the body.
The lymphatic system consists of lymphatic vessels, which are similar to the circulatory system’s veins and capillaries. The vessels are connected to lymph nodes, where the lymph is filtered – like washing machines for the blood.
There are hundreds of lymph nodes in the human body. They are located both deep inside the body, such as around the lungs and heart, and closer to the surface, such as under the arm or groin.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is an advanced therapy that has a powerful cleansing effect; helping with pain relief and enhancing the activity of the immune system. It is used to help promote the optimal functioning of the lymphatic system.
The practitioner uses specific, very gentle and slow rhythmic pumping techniques to move the skin in the direction of the lymph flow. This stimulates the lymphatic vessels to remove any excess waste products.
Benefits and Effects of MLD
MLD is both preventative and remedial and can enhance your sense of well being. It relaxes the sympathetic nervous system and boosts your immune system. Due to our western diets, lack of fluid intake and lack of exercise, a large number of us have sluggish lymphatic systems.
Some of the benefits of MLD are:
* Promotes the healing of fractures, torn ligaments, sprains and lessens pain.
* Improves chronic conditions such as; rheumatoid arthritis, acne and other skin conditions.
* Helps strengthen the immune system as part of “detox” treatment.
* Relieves oedema and fluid congestion – swollen ankles, tired puffy eyes and swollen legs.
* Promotes healing of wounds and burns and improves the appearance of old scars.
* Minimises or reduces stretch marks.
* Can be used to speed healing after cosmetic surgery.
* Relieves headaches and sinus congestion
* Helps with digestive disorders
* Improves energy levels and helps with glandular fever, ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)
* Relieves hayfever and other allergies
* Reduces stress, anxiety and tension